UCR Homepage CHASS Homepage

Honor List and Probation

Dean's Honor List
Students who in any quarter complete a minimum of 12 units for letter grades, with no grade below a "B" and no grade of "W", "NC" or "I," and who average 3.5 GPA or better for that quarter, will be placed on the Dean's Honor List. This will be noted on your official UCR transcript.

If you are on the Dean's Honor List for all three quarters in an academic year, you will be placed on the Chancellor's Honors List.

Minimum Progress

Grades provide a qualitative measure of scholarship while the cumulative unit load provides a quantitative measure of scholarship. Undergraduates in the College are subject to the following standards of minimum progress. If a student does not pass at least 24 units during any three consecutive quarters, registration may be blocked and the student will have to return to full-time status for the following quarter. Work completed in summer session on other campuses of the University and at other institutions is not counted toward satisfaction of minimum progress standards on this campus. Students who are on financial aid, whether state or federal, will have to average at least 36 units over the academic year (including Summer Session) in order to remain fully eligible for continued aid and should check with the Office of Financial Aid in case of doubts. This is especially important for students receiving VA support.

Academic Probation

Good academic standing requires a minimum 2.00 grade point average (GPA) for work taken at the University of California. Students who fall below a 2.0, either at the end of any quarter or for the total graded courses taken in the University, are placed on academic probation. These categories are indicated clearly on your transcript. It is the student's responsibility to be aware of their academic standing.

Read the letter. In addition, you may receive an email from the Associate Dean. It will explain any limitations on your enrollment and will require:

  •    Enrollment in only 12-15 units
  •    No S/NC grading
  •    No Internships (198I's/198G's)
  •    No Incomplete grades
  •    Minimum GPA of 2.33 for the quarter
If you are not following the above conditions, adjust your schedule or make an appointment to talk to your advisor. If the letter requires you to complete and sign a contract, MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO DO SO with your departmental advisor immediately.

Academic Disqualification and Reinstatement

If your GPA in any quarter falls below a 1.50 or, if after two terms on academic probation, your GPA is less than 2.00, you are "Subject to Dismissal." If you receive a letter of dismissal and wish to appeal the decision, please complete the Petition to Appeal Academic Dismissal.

If you are dismissed, it does not necessarily translate into a permanent separation. Your dismissal email will outline the terms of readmission. After you have met the requirements for reinstatement, file an Application for Readmission at the Office of the Registrar at least six weeks before the beginning of the quarter you wish to return and have your official transcripts sent to Undergraduate Admissions.