Header Image

Frequently Asked Questions


On Dec. 16, the University of California announced a tentative agreement between the University and the United Auto Workers (UAW) regarding contracts for UC Academic Student Employees (ASE) and Graduate Student Researchers (GSR). Union members are expected to vote on the tentative agreements in the coming days. 

As a reminder, most campus operations will be closed, Dec. 23, 2022 - Jan. 2, 2023, for academic and administrative holidays.

Below is a list of frequently asked questions, with provided answers, links, and resources. For additional questions or concerns, please contact your academic advisor. You can make an appointment and view your academic advisor’s drop-in availability on the Student Advising Appointment System.

  • What happens if the labor dispute continues into winter 2023?

    On December 9, 2022, the University of California and United Auto Workers, the labor union representing the teaching assistants, agreed to enter into private mediation with the aim of resolving their differences and ending the strike. There is hope an agreement will be reached before the start of the winter term. However, it is also possible that a resolution will not come until after the winter term commences. At this time, we know that grade delays (GDs) are satisfactory for meeting prerequisites for conditional enrollment, and that all regular expectations regarding financial aid, full-time enrollment, and registration deadlines remain in place. CHASS remains in close communication with all our campus partners and will share new information as soon as it becomes available. Should you have additional questions and/or concerns, please reach out to your CHASS academic advisor for assistance. 

  • When will the strike end?

    UC and UAW to enter private mediation.

    For campus-specific information on the strike and negotiations, please visit https://insideucr.ucr.edu/announcements/2022/11/14/updates-uaw-strike.

    For the most current information about UC-UAW negotiations, please visit https://universityofcalifornia.edu/UAW.

  • Can I still withdraw from a class because of the strike?

    No, students will not be able to late withdraw from a Fall course solely based on the strike.

  • How will the strike impact my grades for the fall quarter?

    An email was sent on Nov. 29 to all UCR students regarding grade delays from Ken Baerenklau, Interim Vice Provost and Dean for Undergraduate Education:

    “We know that many of you are concerned about the impact of the UAW strike on fall quarter final exams and grade submission. Mindful of this, we have extended the grade submission deadline to December 19 in order to give instructors more time to complete their grading. After December 19, a temporary grade of “GD” (for “Grade Delay”) will be used for any missing grades. We are currently working to ensure that these Grade Delays do not inadvertently impede your academic progress into winter quarter, or your plans to graduate.

    Across the campus and the UC system, staff in Undergraduate Education, Student Affairs, the Graduate Division, Enrollment Services, as well as deans, faculty, and staff in the schools and colleges, are examining other possible impacts of the strike and developing contingency plans if it continues. If it becomes necessary to implement these plans, we will provide you with more information at that time. Negotiations between the university and the UAW are ongoing and we remain optimistic that an agreement will be reached soon.

    As we near finals week, please stay in close communication with your instructors, ask them questions if you are uncertain about their end-of-quarter plans, and focus on performing your best on your assigned papers, projects, and exams. Also watch your UCR email account for additional updates.”

  • How will a grade delay impact my winter quarter registration?

    Fall grade delays issued as a result of strike activity will be considered a “conditional pass” for winter course prerequisites. That is, students will not be dropped from a winter quarter course until an official grade is entered for the fall quarter classes. If the student receives the requisite grade they will remain in the class. If they do not, they will be dropped. It is advisable for students to consider if they will remain in the winter quarter class once grades are posted and make necessary changes to their registration, if needed, prior to the start of the winter term.

  • How will the strike impact students who planned to graduate after fall term?

    Graduation applications for fall remain valid and will be reviewed following the posting of fall quarter grades. CHASS is developing contingency plans in case grades are not recorded. The deadline for clearing fall degrees is not until the middle of January 2023, so there is still time to finalize degrees after the new year. If this process is delayed because of the strike, students who need a letter certifying the completion of their degree requirements as of November 14 for employment purposes or graduate school applications can request one here starting on January 2.

  • How can I submit a late or retro petition for Fall?

    Students that are interested in taking a late or retroactive action regarding their Fall Quarter enrollment should contact their academic advisor to start the process.

  • What student support resources are available?

    We understand this disruption might lead to additional stress. If you need assistance, please reach out to UCR’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 951-827-5531. CAPS is dedicated to creating a positive, healthy atmosphere for our undergraduate and graduate student populations, working hand-in-hand with students to provide access to mental health resources that support and promote their academic, career, personal and social development. Services are free, confidential, and professional.

    Crisis Text Line is free, 24/7 support for those in crisis. Text HOME to 741741 from anywhere in the US to text with a trained Crisis Counselor. Crisis Text Line trains volunteers to support people in crisis. With over 54 million messages processed to date, we’re growing quickly, but so is the need.

    Student Affairs Case Management is free to any enrolled UCR undergraduate, graduate, or professional student. Students can contact us directly, without a referral. Case Managers are the path-clearers and problem-solvers for UCR students dealing with mental health, academic, relationship, food insecurity and other stressful crises.

    UCR’s Basic Needs is a place where students can connect with essential resources that make college life easier. If you are experiencing basic needs challenges, such as food insecurity, housing displacement/homelessness, or financial crisis, we encourage you to reach out to us for assistance.

    The Academic Resource Center offers a wide variety of programs and services to support students. You are invited to take advantage of its academic support programs like tutoring, Supplemental Instruction, writing support and Early Assist.

    Active Minds is a student-led, nationally recognized organization with more than 400 campus chapters and the largest voice for young adult mental health advocacy across the country. Connect with other UCR students dealing with the same pressures we all have: relationships, body image issues, adjusting to college life, family pressures, and mental health struggles.  They provide guest speakers, information tables, and outreach programs to help peers manage their mental health and find help when needed.

    Student Health Services (SHS) provides a range of health care and services to currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students, including primary care, women's health, dental care, and lab services. SHS is offering virtual appointments and limited in-person appointments during the campus closure. Please call (951) 827-3031 to schedule an appointment.

    The Well provides health education, training, resources, and programming for students in a variety of topic areas, through a network of peer educators, mentors, and professional staff.

    UCR’s Recreation Center offers members of the Highlander community a healthy option to living active and meaningful lives while working on achieving their degrees. All UCR students are automatically members of the Student Recreation Center (SRC), a 155,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility for exercise, sports activities, events and general recreational use.

  • What guidance have UCR faculty been given pertaining to grading for fall quarter?

    On November 17, 2022, the Office of the Registrar sent the following guidance via email to all UCR faculty:

    "Dear Faculty,

    As a result of the ongoing labor negotiations and strike activity, the Fall 2022 grading deadline is being extended to Sunday, December 18th at 11:59 p.m.

    While finalizing your grades this quarter, please keep the following in mind:

    • Delayed grades do have an impact on students; therefore, please try to submit grades as promptly as reasonably possible based on your class circumstances. We hope the extension of time will assist.
    • The Registrar’s Office will assign Grade Delays (GDs) to all missing grades on Monday, December 19th. If you have not submitted your roster at that time, you will still have access to iGrade to submit your grades.
    • You should not assign an Incomplete (I) grade unless the student meets the Senate regulations – “The grade I (incomplete) denotes that a student's work was of passing quality but incomplete for good cause.”
    • You should not assign a grade delay (GD) yourself to document a late grade submission.  A faculty assigned GD indicates that you have reported the student to SCAIP for an academic integrity review.
    • If you experience circumstances that result in you not being able to meet the extended grading deadline please do not do anything in iGrade until you are ready to submit official grades. Once you submit a roster in iGrade you will be required to complete grade change forms for any subsequent changes to your grades."
  • Who should have access to my personal information?

    The Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) governs the disclosure of information from student records. FERPA governs and protects your rights as a student to control your educational records. Learn more about your right to privacy.

    As a student, some of your records are automatically private, like your grades, transcripts and financial statements.  Some campus officials, such as your academic advisors, have limited access to your student records for the purposes of advising and enrollment.