UCR Homepage CHASS Homepage

Graduation Application & Commencement Information

  1. Commencement Information
  2. Information You Should Know
  3. Application for Graduation Deadlines
  4. Apply for Graduation
  5. Eligibility to "Walk" in Commencement Ceremonies
  6. Degree Requirements
  7. Standard for the Award of Honors at Graduation
  8. Receipt of Diploma

Information You Should Know

Your individual degree audit available on R'Web, will give you a comprehensive overview of your graduation status. Review this information carefully and report any necessary corrections immediately to your academic advisor.

You are responsible for knowing all graduation requirements and for completing them by the appropriate deadlines.


The information required to process your degree comes from the application for graduation that you must file to graduate. Examine it carefully - all information is assumed to be correct unless you specify otherwise.

The name on your graduation application must be the same as your official name on file with the Registrar's Office. *If you have had a change of name and your record needs to be updated, forms are available at the Registrar's Office.

To have your minor noted on your record you must:

Have an approved minor petition form on file listing courses used for completion of the minor;

Verify with the minor department that any changes to your original petition have been reported to the Student Academic Affairs Office;

A 2.00 GPA is required in upper-division courses within the field of the minor.

Your degree depends upon completion of any work in progress. During your quarter of graduation immediately report to your advisor any changes made to your schedule after the third week of instruction.

Incomplete, IE, IP or GD grades on your transcript will stop the processing of your degree. Be sure to clear these grades before the end of the quarter you are graduating and keep your Academic Advisor aware of your progress.

If coursework is taken at another institution(s) (including work taken at UCR Extension), note the institution, course(s), and term(s) on your application for graduation

Check on senior residency requirements.

For any transfer work taken, have official transcripts sent by the noted deadline in the Schedule of Classes to: Undergraduate Admissions, University of California, 3106 Student Services Bldg, Riverside, CA 92521

All coursework, whether taken at UCR or elsewhere, must be completed by the last day of UCR's finals week during the quarter of graduation (no GD's or Incomplete grades).

Your overall and upper-division major grade-point average must be at least a 2.000. (NOTE: If you are repeating any course in which you received a "D" grade, your units toward graduation will need to be recalculated.)

You must have a minimum of 180 units, including a minimum of 36 upper division units in your major for the B.A. degree. The B.S. degree requires a minimum of 40 upper division units.

If you discover you will not be graduating in your planned quarter, notify your Academic Advisor immediately. File a new application for graduation form for the new quarter of graduation by the appropriate

Should you fail to meet the graduation requirements by the end of the quarter in which you intend to graduate, you must re-file a new application for graduation for your new quarter of graduation.

Apply for Graduation

Applying for graduation is a two-step process, regardless if you are a continuing student or have been away from UCR one or more quarters.

You must submit the Graduation Application in R’Web first, then a second Graduation Application on the CHASS - Student Academic Affairs website. Applications can only be submitted during the designated filing period. More information is found at http://registrar.ucr.edu/registrar/guide-to-graduation/graduation-application-deadlines.html 

You will need your UCR Net ID/ Password and an active UCR R’Mail account. More information is found at http://cnc.ucr.edu/iguide/

Log into R’Web and click on “Graduation Grades & Test Scores.” Select the term related to your curriculum then select the graduation term. The last page will direct you to submit the CHASS Graduation Application.

Deadlines to have transfer work required for graduation are located at http://registrar.ucr.edu/registrar/guide-to-graduation/graduation-application-deadlines.html

Send official transfer transcripts to:
UC Riverside
Office of Undergraduate Admission
3106 Student Services Bldg
Riverside, CA. 92521


Eligibility to "Walk" in Commencement Ceremonies

You are eligible to participate in the commencement ceremonies if you are completing degree requirements in the Fall, Winter, Spring, or Summer of the academic year.

Contact your major department to confirm your term of graduation is correct in the student information system.

Apply for graduation by the deadline for the quarter in which you plan to actually complete all degree requirements. Graduation does not occur until all requirements have been completed.

Standard for the Award of Honors at Graduation

As passed by the Academic Senate (June 1977), these categories were based on the Spring graduating class--the highest 2% receiving Highest Honors, the next 4% receiving High Honors, and the next 10% receiving Honors.

The grade point averages which mark the cutoff points for each honors category for the June graduating class shall be used as minimum criteria for the award of the same categories of honors to students in the Summer, Fall, and Winter graduating classes which follow.

Recognition of honors at the Commencement Exercises for spring and summer graduation candidates are based on unverified data. The official determination (for transcript and diploma purposes) will be based upon the calculated grade point averages of the actual spring graduates.

Honors at graduation for students graduating Spring 2019 through Winter 2020 will be based on the following grade point average cutoffs. Only those students who have passed 60 or more UC units with letter grades will be considered.


Receipt of Diploma…

There is a three-month processing period before your diploma is issued. To assure prompt delivery, make sure the Office of the Registrar has an accurate address on file. If you need graduation verification, you may request to have a copy of your transcript sent as soon as your degree has been posted by the Office of the Registrar. For further inquiries please go to http://www.registrar.ucr.edu/registrar/guide-to-graduation/diplomas.aspx .