Welcome to Your New Website!
Meeting with Your Advisor
Our office hours are Monday-Thursday, from 9 AM to Noon & 1 PM to 4 PM. We are open on Fridays, from 8 AM to Noon. You can find our updated schedule here: CHASS Student Academic Affairs Office Calendar.
Effective Spring 2022, both in-person and remote advising will be available. When offered, students will have the option to select in-person or remote appointments with their Academic Advisor, Monday-Thursday (subject to availability). Once your appointment is confirmed, a detailed confirmation email with instructions will be sent to your R’mail address.
Our office advises students who are in CHASS Undeclared, Pre-Business and Inactive students who want to readmit to CHASS. If you are in a major, please go to our CHASS Major Advisors page to find your academic advisor.
- Follow us on Instagram for important announcements
- Get to know CHASS.
- CHASS Mandatory Attendance Policy
- Ready to apply to the School of Business? Please check out this information page: School of Business Application Workshop
- Last day to change grading basis or variable units ($4 fee). Enrollment Adjustment Forms are due at NOON: Mar. 3, 2023
- Last day of instruction: Mar. 17, 2023
- Last day to withdraw from UCR for the full term: Mar. 17, 2023
- Last day to complete work in order to remove an incomplete grade from the prior quarter: Mar. 24, 2023
- Last day of the quarter: Mar. 24, 2023
- All continuing students register for Spring 2023 Quarter: Feb. 13-Mar. 7, 2023
- UNDERGRADUATE 17 unit maximum load lifted for Spring 2023 Quarter: Mar. 9, 2023 (registration closed between 5:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. - 2nd pass opens at 9:00 a.m.)
- Makeup enrollment and add/drop for Spring 2023 Quarter: Mar. 8-Apr. 14, 2023
- Readmission Application Deadline for Fall 2023: June 26, 2023, by 4 PM – Readmit Form
Fall 2022 Dean's Orientation Schedule
Filing Period to Submit
an Application for Graduation
Fall 2022 Candidates
May 16, 2022 - Aug. 15, 2021, by 4 PM
Winter 2023 Candidates
Nov. 6, 2022 - Dec. 1, 2022, by 4 PM
Spring 2023 Candidates
Feb. 13, 2023 - Mar. 6, 2023, by 4 PM
Summer 2023 Candidates
April 3, 2023 - April 10, 2023, by 4PM*
(*To Participate in Commencement)
April 3, 2023 - July 1, 2023, by 4PM
The Student Academic Affairs Office of the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences advises students in the Undeclared Program and Pre-Business Program. We also advise students who have been dismissed from the University and are seeking readmission to a CHASS major. Additionally, our office houses the Associate Dean for Student Affairs who oversees all student affairs issues for the College.
Specific services include:
- Providing general information about procedures, requirements, and course credit available.
- Acting on petitions for declaring/changing a major, credit by examination, student petitions, changes in class schedule, declaration of double majors or minors, withdrawal from UCR, leave of absence, and readmission.
- Providing information regarding transfer course credits and their equivalencies. The Student Academic Affairs Office determines how the credits apply toward completion of breadth requirements after it has received the transcripts from Admissions and the major department determines how credits apply toward completion of major requirements.
- The Student Academic Affairs Office reviews the records of all students in the College who apply to graduate and consults with the student's major advisor to ensure all degree requirements have been satisfied. The Student Academic Affairs Office communicates this information to the Registrar for the final posting of the degree.
An Advisor's Responsibility
- Interpret College policies, academic rules, regulations, and degree requirements
- Assistance in developing strategies for academic success and in planning coursework
- Respect for each student and insurance of confidentiality and discretion in counseling matters.
- Provide academic support and guidance with accuracy, consistency, and accountability
- Available to listen and help in the assessment of individual situations, especially those involving academic difficulty.
The Student's Responsibility
- Keep complete academic records and bring them to advising appointments
- Schedule advising appointments as early as possible during enrollment
- Review your academic history and be honest about your strengths and weaknesses
- Progress towards a selected degree, including conscientious self-assessment of interests, abilities, and talents.
- Take the initiative to review the Catalog and other resources to learn basic academic rules, regulations, and standards of excellence.
- Use advising services to keep current about college expectations and assessments of your progress.
- Be aware of student services and campus programs and determine how they best fit your needs.
- Be accountable and accept the consequences of your own actions.
CHASS Mandatory Attendance Policy
Students who fail to attend during the first and second week of instruction may forfeit their place in the class and have their names removed from the class roster. A student who is removed from a class roster for not meeting attendance requirements will not be allowed to continue in that course and will receive a grade of "F" or "NC" unless the student formally drops or withdraws from the course.
Unless otherwise indicated in the quarterly Schedule of Classes, students are not automatically dropped from courses for nonattendance and will receive grades in all courses in which they are enrolled, whether they attend or not. Please refer to individual course listings in the class listings for specific information about drops for nonattendance. In most cases, students must drop the class using R'Web or file an enrollment adjustment form at the Office of the Registrar to avoid an "F" grade.